Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 4 September 2017

Phelan the Love

Corrie fans took to Twitter on Sunday as Pat Phelan struggled to live up to his own bad guy standards in a lovely one hour weekend episode. Pat showed glimmers of humanity as Andy struggled with his injuries in the dark, insect ridden cellar he has been keeping him in, and we saw him wrestle with his desperate need to neutralise Andy to avoid the risk of exposing his past crimes, against his desire to be the better man daughter Nicola keeps saying he is. 




One tweet proclaimed Connor McIntyre's Phelan was one of the greatest characters in Coronation Street history.



Another praised Phelan's 'baddie' credentials.



Others commented on Connor’s performances.




Some, as always, disagreed.



There has been much praise for Connor on the CoronationStreet blog, and Corrie producers obviously see the value of his character, giving him his own family and so far, seemingly allowing him to get away with his crimes. That could be about to change of course - nobody gets away with it forever!


It’s really great to see the public engaging with this character and storylines on social media, and it’s encouraging that so many younger viewers are enjoying the show, hopefully securing another 57 years of Britain’s best TV show.

Twitter: @StevieDawson 




Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

8 comments:

Unknown said...

To be perfectly honest with you, I wish I could just skip through the Phelan parts, it's not that I don't like his acting, I've just had enough of this storyline. I don't even care anymore. I'm sure Andy will be back so let's just have him back and hopefully Pat Phelan ends up in the grave instead so we don't have to go through a long drawn out trial.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I agree, I find this sickening. I feel ill when I see Andy in the cellar. I like Corrie to escape the stress of the day, this is so disturbing. I am hoping Andy gets better and escapes.

Ancient corrier said...

As much as I agree, Phelan has been a superb villan, however, it's not something I want to watch on an early evening soap. I really have had enough. Get rid Asap.

Anonymous said...

Jeanie (anon):

Agree with the comments above! This story line is just too grim and realistic--sickeningly close to what killers do to their victims (eg. covering Andy's face before killing him). The fact that both actors are doing such a great job conveying their characters just makes it that much more unsettling. Usually when someone's imprisoned in a soap the tone is not as dark, gothic, and sadistic--eg. when Chesney was held captive by John Stape. A soap, ultimately, is meant to be about escapism, not a realistic rendition of how sadistic killers psychologically and physically torment the victims they've imprisoned. That's a whole other genre and out of place in Coronation Street. (I think, anyways).

Karen said...

Didn't he have a wife for the longest time?

Unknown said...

Oi oi !

Unknown said...

Corrie turned into Saw lol

Anonymous said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't care how good an actor Mr. Macintyre is, the character is ATROCIOUS. Get him off air NOW!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!