Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 19 May 2012

Alan Halsall on Tyrone's abuse storyline

Kirsty Soames turns on Tyrone Dobbs pushing his arm up his back then slamming his wall into the wallAlan Halsall, who plays Coronation Street's Tyrone Dobbs, gives a good long interview today with The Mirror about the Tyrone and Kirsty abuse storyline.

After Kirsty lamped him with a ladle a couple of weeks ago, poor Tyrone's going to be assualted again.  Corrie have taken advice from male ­domestic violence charities - such as Mankind - who support men who are victims of domestic abuse.

Alan says he was shocked by the ­harrowing accounts he read: “I read case studies and they were quite unbelievable. They were real-life accounts and it’s amazing the kind of people it can happen to. One man I read about was a nightclub doorman. You don’t imagine someone like him suffering domestic violence at home, so it just shows that it can happen to ­anyone. It’s really shocking I think it’s a subject that ­happens more than people realise: men don’t want to talk about it – it’s kind of taboo. I hope I do this issue justice and raise awareness.”

Alan joined Coronation Street when he was a just 16-years-old and now he's 29. He says: “I get my cheek pinched a lot,” he laughs. “If I got a pound for every time ­somebody pulled my cheek and said, ‘Aaaaaaah!’ I’d be a rich man."I always smile, but inside I think, ‘I’m nearly 30, it’s getting weird now."

Alan remains firm friends with Bill Tarmey, who played Jack Duckworth. “We speak on the phone every week and I see him every other Thursday. Bill was like a father figure to me at work and that’s never gone. He misses Coronation Street so, so much. It was a huge part of his life and he dearly misses the people – he tells me all the time."

Read the full interview here.

Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love u Tyrone. U make the show worth watching every week. Thank for that! A corrie fan @rempeljo :)

Anonymous said...

Alan is such a nice person. That was a great article.

Frosty the Snowman said...

Tyrone is such an annoying idiot, you cant blame Kirsty for thumping him. I see the actor who played David Stockewell in Heartbeat is to come in as Kirsty's father.

Nathan Johnson said...

I love it how people can excuse women hitting men. Imagine if a woman was annoying, is it ok if a bloke can hit her. No wonder nobody takes men being abused seriously, its seen as a joke.

Anonymous said...

Y'all should read a few stories on the Mankind website. Heartbreaking stuff. I'm glad Corrie had the 'nads to bring this out into the open.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!