Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 25 November 2010

Vicky Entwistle's husband charged with assault

Vicky Entwistle, who plays Coronation Street's Janice Battersby (but not for much longer) told a court she quit the soap due to the pressure of being a celebrity. Vicky was giving evidence in court this week as her husband was charged with assaulting a fan.

The Manchester Evening News reports that Vicky down during the hearing saying the pressures of celebrity and the ‘very frightening’ incident were behind her decision to leave Corrie. She said: “I decided to resign from my job. I feel I want some privacy and normality. The enormity of that programme, its got too big for me now. I feel swallowed by it. I don't want to do it anymore. I want to do small things that will not create that kind of attention.”

Vicky's husband was found guilty of common assault by a district judge and ordered he pay compensation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know about that.

It's a shame such a great character has to call it a day for such reasons. Celebrity is a blessing in some ways and a curse in others.

Anonymous said...

I recall hearing or reading that during the late 60s and early 70s, the actors who played characters Annie Walker, Elsie Tanner, Ena Sharples, etc., were also stressed with the celebrity. I don't have concrete facts to put forward, just that I recall their struggle with it also. I believe I heard that Violet Wilson re-structured her home so that the living space was not visible through the front windows of her Blackpool home because people were constantly outside her house and trying to see inside.

Fishwife said...

Fans have a lot to answer for.

Sea Penguin said...

I don't blame her.

Dilly Daydream said...

Oh come on!

Don't become an actor if you can't handle the celebrity factor.

Dilly Daydream said...

And another thing, Vicky Entwistle is rather closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, isn't she?

She's already got the "problem" - what is resigning her job going to solve?

Maybe it was more a case of jumping before she was pushed.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!