Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 31 March 2010

What will happen to John Stape?


The Stapester's getting a lot of stick at the moment, but he's one of my favourite Corrie characters so I'm going to leap to his defence. Okay so he's been a bit of a plank at times, not to mention a criminal, but hey, he's done his time and he wants to turn his life around. That's why he went for the job as an adult education teacher. Yes, he lied to the education authorities as well as to himself about the CRB check, but I don't think he's deep down evil (not like sleaze-meister Grandad George - and where's he disappeared to, lately? up to no good in Berkshire, I reckon.). Stape wasn't planning to kidnap any more pupils - he's been and done that, and well and truly learned the error of his ways. But those CRB checks are very unforgiving. He's not going to get back into teaching again, ever - unless gets desperate and steals someone else's identity, School of Rock style - which is a possible upcoming storyline. Personally I really hope he doesn't go down that route and end up inside again.
No, there must be other solutions for John. But what on earth ARE they? Okay, Roy's Rolls isn't a bad job, but the pay must be terrible not to mention the leccy/soap powder bills he must run up, getting the pong of chip fat and bacon and sausage barms out of his clothes. But that's the least of his worries. What about his long term future? Will he turn into a "Ken", pottering away on the Weatherfield Gazette, polishing his leather elbow patches and tinkering with a novel that will never see the light of day? I hope not. I think the Stapester deserves better.
By the way - I notice that there is an author called John Stape, who wrote, among other things, a biography of Joseph Conrad. I wonder if that's where the idea for the character's name came from?

7 comments:

abbyk said...

I like Stape, too. He's smart, but not conniving, so I don't see him ever running a business. What I'd like to see is for him to take whatever is left of his grandmother's estate to support his research as he writes that novel, or better, a best selling series of intelligent crime thrillers, a la Millennium trilogy, with a high school teacher hero. Maybe he started some notes when he was inside.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Let's make John a real success at something. There is little enough success on Corrie, so it is about time someone did well in life. John could be that person....he is smart, unlike most of the other characters.

Willie Eckerslike said...

I think they ruined the character of Stape by doing the stupid kidnap story. I dont think he has anywhere to go now. Shame.

gab said...

i agree they could have done so much more but ruined him with the kidnap story he doesnt realy have anywhere to go and i really like him and fiz

Tvor said...

I don't like Stape. Never have. The words "Passive "Agressive" come to mind.

Yoork said...

Stape's pretty useless in my opinion. As a character on the show, and now in the character's own life. He's never felt "Corrie" to me. I suppose there's a bit of Kenneth in him so he might go down the same route - how boring though, no improvement.

I honestly can't see him doing much. He was almost better when he was bad. Maybe we can make him a villain again- for real this time.

Anonymous said...

Almost everyone who has had any intelligence, or for that matter a few ounces of savvy, has been turned into a villain. Before long, being smart will be looked upon as the same as being crooked. What a shame. What a message to send to young viewers.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!