Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 25 September 2015

An Interview with Paula Lane, Post Live Episode



How did you feel when you were told that Kylie was going to be the murderer, killing Callum in the live episode? 
I was shocked, I was shocked anyway about Sean (Ward) leaving, never mind that I was going to do the need. I didn’t feel too worried because I’ve always felt really looked after on the show and wanted here, so I didn’t feel like it was a signal to say bye bye you’re going now. I was reassured that the storyline would allow for more scope for stories for Kylie so I definitely haven’t been too worried about it.

Now Kylie’s done the deed, will it lead to even bigger storylines for her?
 All I feel it provides me with is more drama, more stories to play out and I can’t wait. It’s literally pushing the boundaries as to how long you can keep a character for after they’ve committed such a big crime. It will stretch the character and that’s really flattering, the fact that they do see so much more material for her.

There were plenty of people out to get Callum, could Kylie not necessarily get the blame for Callum’s murder? 
Yeah it could be any number of people, they’ve definitely painted the picture that there were a lot of people out to get him and a lot of people looking for revenge against Callum. Todd and Tony torched Callum’s car, so that could put them in the frame. There are a lot of people who were accomplices, not just Kylie, yes she whacked him on the head but plenty of people wanted to!

What made her hit Callum, was it just spur of the moment, reacting to what she saw him doing to Sarah? 
She could hear shouting outside, she went in quite tentatively to gauge the situation (off camera) but then the situation escalated really quickly. Sarah got up to run to the door then Callum was on top of her, the first thing Kylie clapped her eyes on was one of the builders tools, a wrench, and in that split second she picked it up and hit him. What she could hear from outside sounded so horrific to Kylie, it was just spur of the moment when she saw him on top of Kylie, she hit him on the back of the head to get him off her. I don’t think she intended to kill him, just to stop him.

Kylie feels quite guilty afterwards doesn’t she, is David the driving force in dealing with Callum’s body? 
Kylie’s just in shock. I think it’s the most challenging storyline I’ve ever had to play out, I mean you don’t murder somebody everyday, but I’ve had to play it very numb. Sarah’s hysterical and crying whereas Kylie’s more in shock so I’ve had to strip it right back. Kylie gives the game to David, it becomes his task to get them out of it. It’s been quite difficult playing Kylie’s numbness and shock, you won’t see her crack until about 3 weeks time.

Were you nervous about doing the deed, making it look real? 
I was really nervous, because Callum and Sarah were in the middle of a fight scene we couldn’t fully determine what position they were going to end up in, so I had to get myself in the right place. Sean’s quite long, so I had to get my legs in the right position to be able to reach to hit him. You’ve got to trust your co-stars an enormous amount doing a live episode. There was a lot of trust between us all.

How did you feel in the run up to the live episode, how were your nerves? 
The nerves were ok, they bubbled away underneath. I trained in theatre so I know what’s it like to go live, and if anything this has really inspired me, I’ve been given such a fix, I absolutely loved it. A lot of people said it would be the hardest thing I’d done but actually having one script to focus on has been great, it’s amazing how you really do retain it. I’ve loved it, I’ve enjoyed every single minute in the process of making the live. I took it scene by scene and tried not to let it swallow me up. On the night I just tried to be in control and take it one step at a time.

Do you think we’ll see a different Kylie going forward?
Yes, I think in a way something will have died in her too that night. Maybe a light has gone out, there’s a haunting that’s always going to be there and it’s David who’s got to try and carry her through. But as the weeks go on lots more things come into play, they start turning on each other, it just becomes one big crazy fight for survival, it’s a mess.

Will Kylie and David be able to deal with the burden of their secret? 
They’re trapped in this secret and it just escalates till they can’t control it anymore. There are too many people involved; Sarah, then unknowingly Gail, the kids, Nick, their friends. Suddenly it’s not just them covering up this secret, it feels like they’re having to cover their tracks with half the street.

How do they feel when the police come calling on Friday asking questions about Callum’s whereabouts?
 Kylie’s so on the edge but when it looks like Sarah’s going to be the one who gives the game away then Kylie’s desperately trying to hold it together, for Sarah as well.

The police aren’t the only ones asking questions about Callum’s disappearance, how does Kylie react when Callum’s mum Marion turns up on the doorstep? 
It really gets to Kylie, she’s a mum too, so seeing the worry on Marion’s face really ramps up the guilt for Kylie.

This isn’t the end of Kylie on the show is it? 
No there’s a lot more to come for Kylie. This storyline is going to provide a lot of drama for the Platts. But morally if you kill someone in soapland there has to be justice in the end so I guess I’ll just have to see what happens. I think it’s great that like me the viewers will be left wondering for a while.


Download our free App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook | Visit Corrie.net


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is also seaplane law that secrets always come out at the most inconvenient time. I do hope we are not going to see another 'Tracy Barlow got away with murder' in Kylie.

Nikki NZ said...

Was it murder though?

Laura said...

How was it unjustifiable murder? He was attacking Sarah, she saved her life. Totally justifiable.

Beth said...

Tracy Barlow killed Charlie Stubbs in calculated cold blood and got away with it. Kylie saved Sarah's life. I thought killing Callum would put an end to it. The only bad thing about this is that we seem to be set to see even more of the Platt's.

Humpty Dumpty said...

I'm back after a few weeks' hols and saw the 'live' on catch-up. Can someone explain to me why Kylie left David in the pub to return home? I must have missed that. (Kylie could have told Sarah that she only came home to use the loo.)

Alison said...

Paula Lane is a fab actress but 'more drama for the Platts' is something I could really do without. On digital spy all but one of the spoiler and recap clips are about the Platts and it's been like that for months on end. Considering Corrie has such a large ensemble cast that's inexcusable. At least Callum is out of the picture.
Potentially enthralling storylines such as Simon/Leanne have only been scratched on the surface.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Alison, you summed you my feelings exactly. Well said.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!