Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 6 February 2014

Gloria, Dennis and other tragedies


I've just watched Coronation Street from last night and dear me, so many characters are irritating me at the moment. And for once, one of them wasn't Tracy Barlow. Is there something in the water down Weatherfield way?

I must start with the truly awful Gloria Price. The character has never worked despite the superb actress portraying her. We all know Sue Johnston is leaving, so you might have thought the Corrie bosses would have attempted to salvage something while she's still playing out her contract. Sadly though, Gloria is now even more unpleasant than she ever was. Her treatment of Rita and cosying up to Dennis is deeply unpalatable to say the least. I cannot wait for her to be off my screen.

Dennis Tanner is also oh so very disappointing. It's not Philip Lowrie's fault - he's a great actor behind an iconic character. Both character and actor have been totally wasted since he returned. I still do not understand why they are axing Dennis, a character with so much potential. We've barely seen Rita and Dennis together since they were married off and now suddenly everything is going horribly wrong for them. None of it makes sense to me. What's the point of bringing back a character from Corrie's golden age, with links to the magnificent Elsie Tanner, and then souring the memory in this way? 

Ah Michelle Connor. That old chestnut. Dump her Steve, dump her like she's toxic waste!

What a horrid little supper party that was at the Bistro. Carla seems to have forgotten all about Hayley and is now content to meddle in her brother's love life. I actually felt sorry for Tracy last night. Yes, that's right, sorry for TRACY BARLOW. Worryingly, I also think I might be warming to Rob. Stranger things have happened. Anyway, the back drop to all this was the rekindling of Peter and Tina. Even typing that sentence left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know which of them is worse. Peter's secretive, sleazy wink to Tina sums him right up. I wish Tina would pack up her Ugg boots and dangly earring collection and scurry back to that London. 

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if Peter is too old to go back into the Navy...

I would go on to discuss my thoughts on the latest Windass storyline, but I'm too busy stifling a yawn. Come back Roy, and bring your mother with you! 


Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am beginning to wonder if bringing Dennis back in the first place was just a mistake. He worked well in the 1960s especially with Elsie Tanner, but sadly she is long gone. Its almost like the only reason for his return was because the producers just wanted a Tanner back on the street and make Rita 'Mrs Tanner'. It shows how lack of effort they put into the character. 43-years of backstory for the modern Dennis yet barely anything. What happened to Jenny (his first wife)? What happened to his family? We found nothing out. Even his homeless plot was swept under the carpet after 2 episodes.

Then again I cannot stand Rita, especially her treatment of Dennis a couple of months back making nasty remarks about him being homeless. The redeeming part for me is Richie but I guess he is only part of this plot.

Anonymous said...

I love Carla but why on earth is she suddenly only bothered about getting Rob and Tina together? It's silly writing. Corrie, get a grip!!!

I hate the way everything has to be so contrived now, just so that Tina 'I'm in everyone's business' McIntyre can be shoved down our throats!

Don't get me started on the (unbelievable) Tina and Peter affair.

Anonymous said...

I've had enough. They've lost another viewer.

piedpiper67 said...

I'm almost ready to write a petition to overhaul the entire writing team... as others have said, there is a lot of lazy writing going on and many lost opportunities to make these characters ones we can love not despise. As much as I enjoy Corrie, its getting tough again to watch an episode from start to finish without rolling my eyes.

Upintheattic said...

I just can't turn my back on Corrie. I do feel so much disappointment though. If comparing the useless character called Sophie with the Tina/Peter story, I gladly take the latter. Do the writers not see these blogs?? How many people complain about the characters that make them want to tune out?? My dh and I spent a good part of the week FF all the sophie and maddie...ugh! story. I know others have tuned out as well, just check the blogs to see what's going on..if anything. I realize that we are still going through losing our Hayley character, but where is everyone? I want to see Liz, I want some light banter between Lloyd and Steve. Just ANYTHING but Sophie and her lover.

Humpty Dumpty said...

We all suspected that Roy and Hayley were carrying the show and, now they've gone, it's been confirmed. There are hardly any storylines that I'm interested in. Tyrone and Fiz; Beth and co; Roy, of course, when he returns and all the attendant characters. It's very obvious that Peter has been brought in to Tina's story because CG is leaving. Otherwise, I'm sure it would have been a straightforward romance between Rob and Tina. Carla was becoming quite interesting but now she's just being weird. A set-up for when she discovers her BFF has been carrying on with her husband?

I'm being as tactful as I can here. I do hope that Deirdre doesn't return to her 'Tracyluv' days in a few months time. She has been reborn and she deserves a storyline of her own, away from the family.

Newfy Pearl said...

Remember when Maria was having an affair with Charlie? Tracy was getting chummy with her before finding out too.
Hmmmm....seems like the same scenario with Tina and Carla.
My only wish is that Carla does not go all creepy weird with a bottle of booze. I am sick of Corrie women drowning their sorrows in liquor when things do not go well.

Anonymous said...

I will not stop watching Coronation Street but I will stop reading negative comments from so-called fans of the show. To read some of the comments here it is amazing that the show exists at all.

Anonymous said...

I love the character of Carla and think she and Peter work great together but of course Tina has to come along and ruin everything. As for Carla's sudden obsession with Tina and Rob's relationship... Sloppy writing as usual and don't even get me started on the Gloria and Dennis storyline, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

She wasn't on last night but the prize for irritating goes to Sophie and her hair. Thank Goodness they put that junk in a ponytail. I feel like her hair should be getting a script at this point. Yes, YES.. we know you love it over your left shoulder!!!

ChiaGwen said...

Sheer lunacy! - get rid of Dennis but keep the waste of space,lazy, mumbling Sophie to further enhance the despicable Tim. That FF button comes in handy.

Defrost Indoors said...

I agree, there is so much potential with Dennis and I've always enjoyed the character. What about his relation to Eileen? *That* got swept under the carpet awfully quick, when there is so much more they could do with that, and with Dennis in general. Was Rita this snippy with her previous husband? We could lose Sophie and she wouldn't be missed at all. Perhaps it's just the anticlimax after the gripping Hayley story but everything right now feels like irritating filler. I'm sick of the round and round with Nick and Leanne too; there's no progress there. The Roy/Hayley story showed that they can hit it out of the park when they want to; we need more of that level of writing and acting.

Anonymous said...

Dennis should remain in Coronation Street please write him a good script and make his relationship with Rita work we really need a good love story

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!