Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 3 April 2013

What will the Barlow family do next?

I saw a sneak preview photo on corrie.net showing what looked to be a somewhat fraught family dinner (aren't they always?) at the Barlow household. Apart from Ken and Deirdre, Carla and Peter were present as were Tracy and Rob. 

For a brief moment I was a tiny bit interested in this and then I realised it would involve more scenes with Tracy and Rob. I know there was publicity about their much heralded "romance" but it has played out quite quietly until now. Something I'm sure the majority of us are quite pleased about. Anyway, it looks as if the Barlow family will be coming back to the fore in the coming weeks. Is this something you are happy about?
 
I love Ken and Deirdre for some of the same reasons I love Gail and Audrey - the history and longevity of their characters. However do we think Ken and Deirdre still have a lot to give to Coronation Street? It has been ages since Deirdre had a proper storyline and quite frankly the reappearance of Tracy has almost ruined Deirdre's character as far as I'm concerned. However Corrie has always been about the more mature woman so let's hope they take her in an interesting direction soon. And while I am on the subject, we may have seen Julie and Eileen grovel for Tyrone's forgiveness, but what about Deirdre? She gave pretty damning, unpleasant evidence against him in court but is yet to apologise on screen.

As for Ken, well I only hope any future storylines take him in a different direction from the constant affairs he always seems to be having. I know Ken is younger than Bill Roache is in real life, but surely enough is enough? I would love Joanna Lumley to make an appearance as his 70s love Elaine Perkins, but hopefully the writers could come up with something more interesting than an affair.
 
I also really enjoy both Peter and Carla, two characters who seem to have been rested quite a bit since their return. Not a bad idea really as they were in danger of being completely over exposed. 

While I worry they do not have a long term future, especially once Leanne finds out about Nick and Kylie, as she is bound to do, I hope we see them come back to the fore in the near future.
 
What I can't stand is the idea of Tracy with Rob. Or indeed Tracy with anyone. Or indeed Rob with anyone. Talk about two weak links! I dread to think what the writers have in store for this duo. Or maybe that's just me.
 Sadly I think the Barlow family has never quite recovered from losing Blanche. Every so often the writers will throw a Blanche line in Deirdre's direction but it's really just not the same. She really was the heart and soul of the family and the Barlow's front room just seems a bit empty without her.
 
So what do you all think about the Barlow family in 2013? What would you like to see them get up to? Are they still an integral part of Corrie for you or do you think it is time we moved on?
 



Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the new storyline focuses around Rob sleeping with Deirdre to get at Peter, as previously hinted at then I don't think there will be much to look forward to. I used to enjoy the Deirdre/Liz scenes but now the Barlow scenes seem a bit lifeless.

Humpty Dumpty said...

The Barlows are Coronation Street -even if it's just Peter. Of all the families on the Street, Peter is the only link with the original characters. But we don't need them all! I really don't get why Tracy is still around. I could probably forgive and forget that she's a cold-blooded murderer if she had any redeeming features. Now that she seems to have got over Steve, there's no point at all to her character. Her previous ridiculous story lines stopped Ken and Deirdre from having decent ones of their own. Let her go off with someone, Rob maybe, and take Amy with her. Peter needs a story that's completely different. Something to do with work - people hacking into the bookie's online account, fixing races etc? Could Deirdre be overcome with grief again, having discovered something about Blanche's past, either good or bad? Ken would make an ideal literacy volunteer, going into Brian's school and helping children to read. He could uncover child neglect and be determined to do something about it when the authorities fail to act.

njblas said...

There is life left in the family still, but only if the writers can come up with a fresh direction. A love triangle with Tracy, Rob and Deirdre would be absolutely ghastly, and I hope it's not going to happen. Both Rob and Tracy are aggravating, pointless and unbelievable, and should both be sent packing as quickly as possible - please!!

Joseph said...

You know, I actually kinda enjoy Tracy and Rob together. Which is weird considering that I hate them seperately. But I don't know, they just make me laugh when they're together which in my opinion is never a bad thing. I'm in the minority here, aren't I?

Anonymous said...

Oh wait..let me guess..another Tracy pregnancy in the works? Spare me the Barlow's..they're beyond boring. Ken and Deidre I can stomach but the new 'leaner' Peter doppelganger I just can't stand. Carla is a shadow of her former self. The family needs an overhaul IMO.
The pottery scenes were hilarious though.

Llifon said...

Ken and Deirdre need to get new storylines. What was potentially a great storyline for Ken to be on the school governors seems to have vanished. And like you said Humpty Dumpty, why not have him being concerned about a neglected child or whatever.

Deirdre, on the other hand can have something to do with the surgery. There are possibilities there.

Doesn't Deirdre have an aunt who can come and stay with them for a while?

Charlotte said...

Great post.

I miss Blanche. I think she'd put Rob in his place!
I think they need to introduce Blanche's sister or something.

I would also like to see Carla interacting more with the Barlows.

I love Peter and Carla together, so I'm hoping that the writers have some good storylines planned for them this year. I read somewhere that they have a storyline coming up in May.

I think the writers will throw obstacles at them every couple of months but somehow, they will keep finding their way back together.

Anonymous said...

Am not a huge fan of the Barlows. I can take Deidre in small doses but CANNOT STAND TRACEY! We haven't seen Amy for months will she be coming back with a new head and a smart mouth? That wouldn't surprise me at all. Surely Tracey won't get pregnant again!

Janice. said...

It may be time to put an end to Amy. The death of the child would be a way to take the whole clan in a new direction. It would also shift the Tracy/Steve dynamic in a different gear. Given we have not seen Amy in over a year, the child will not be missed.

ChiaGwen said...

Have said this many times before, I don't understand why the writers don't explore Anne Kirkbride's artistic talent (painting)perhaps discovering it along with Craig being a secret painter - I see comedy gold there. Ken needs some kind of work, either paid or volunteer to get him out of that dam chair with a book glued to his hands. Agree about maybe helping at the school and it is too bad Brian is leaving because any scenes they had together were very good.

Chatty Kathy said...

Great post, Graeme!

Tracy's return has ruined Deirdre. Most of her scenes now involve her either defending Tracy to Ken, or sympathizing with Tracyluv over her latest sociopathic behavior gone wrong. Other than the recent court scene, she doesn't get to do much on her own any more. She needs another foil at home like Blanche. They played off one another so well.

I like Carla. I like Peter. I don't like them together because their stories are always about Peter's guilt over Simon, or Carla's drinking. But it was alcoholism that brought them together, so I guess it's no surprise that alcohol (either drinking it or not drinking it) features largely in their relationship. But I find them boring together. Like Humpty said, give Peter a good storyline about the bookies. There is so much potential there. And Carla owns a factory. Surely there could be a story there? ( Without featuring Tracy, of course.) Carla is really in her element when she's the Faktry Boss.

I always liked Ken. There are so many things an intelligent and socially conscious character like Ken could do without it always resorting to another affair or involving another woman. I do love that he sees right through Tracy.

Rob was supposed to be the new heart throb on the street, but it never happened. I don't see much purpose to his character any more.

Tracy The Predictable needs to go. ASAP. If she's near an attractive man, she'll simper and flirt. Put her next to anyone else and she'll insult them for no reason and then smirk. The character is too stupid to be an effective villain, and too nasty to be likable. So what's the point of her, besides boring the pants off the viewers?

D. Lewis said...

I see the Barlows as the heart of the street.

I love Peter when he's with Carla, and I love Carla when she's with Peter but the writers need to move them forward now - instead of giving them the same storylines over and over.
As a couple, they're all about the drama, I get that, but having them disappear for months, only to suddenly bring them back with an 'explosive' storyline (which they usually disappear at the end of) is getting frustrating to watch.

I feel like the actors are capable of so much and I really hope the writers make the most of them. After all, they're the ones who brought Carla and Peter together.

I don't really see the point of Rob and Tracy being a couple but I'm starting to wonder if they've just been thrown together for some Barlow drama. Rob and Peter hate each other, apparently, and it's only a matter of time before Tracy gets involved.
I can see it leading to Carla being caught up in the middle, thanks to Tracy playing games with them all and causing more stress for Ken and Deirdre.

Anonymous said...

Introduce Beryl Lindfield, Blanche's sister ! she could shake things up at the Barlow's !

Mary Prankster said...

Graeme,
In addition to your considerable literary talents, you seem to have a knack for finding topics that engage fellow viewers and elicit interested responses.
As for the Barlows, whoever the writer was who used to come up with those great "zingers" from Blanche, the new producer would be wise to put him or her to work figuring out how to transition Dierdre from her former attractive middle-aged woman persona to a more mature, dare I say "matronly" position. I've been glad of the break from Ken, considering Mr. Roach's recent behaviour. It gives us a chance to separate the 2 personalities.

Carry On Blogging! said...


Thank you Mary Prankster, that's very kind of you to say so :)

Kate said...

I too love the Barlows. Deirdre has always been one of my favourite characters - particularly the Liz/Deirdre scenes. At the moment though they are a lukewarm family unit with so much unused potential.

I am in the minority that Tracy doesn't bother me as much as she seems to others. Her sarcastic side can actually make me smile sometimes! Not sure I like Tracy and Rob together though. Like others have said he seems to have been brought in for his looks and doesn't serve any real purpose at the faktry now that Carla is back.

More Peter and the bookies - I agree!

Anonymous said...

Poor Amy Barlow is being neglected, by everyone!! She is never mentioned and she is like nine years old. Agree bring Beryl Linfield in especially now is Ken gone for the forseeable.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!