Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 4 April 2013

Deirdre and Dev: Round two?


A vaguely unpleasant thought crossed over me late last night as I tried to get to sleep. When I tell you what it is you'll all be advising me to switch my hot milk before bedtime for something a whole lot stronger.

Last night we watched as poor Sunita departed to the great Weatherfield in the sky. Actually, imagine that - a big Weatherfield heaven full of all the old faces. Anyway I digress. My immediate thought was who would provide Devendra with the much needed comfort he'll rely on to get through these difficult times. 




Like a fag-scented boomerang bashing him in the face, one image appeared in my night terrors. The manchester tart herself, Deirdre Hunt Langton Barlow Rachid Barlow. 

Now these two do have past form (I know we've all used that big bottle of collective mind bleach on those scenes) but the question is, would the powers that be put us through that again?




I've mentioned recently how badly Deirdre needs a storyline of her own. I think Anne Kirkbride has been badly served by the Corrie writers of late - Tracy's return has pushed Deirdre into the background of her daughter's storylines and really weakened a once strong, determined, independent woman. 

Now I'm not saying a fumble with the Corner Shop King would solve this issue, but at least it would turn the spotlight on Deirdre for a change. Also, wouldn't it be lovely for Deirdre to be the one shocking Tracy instead of it always being the other way round?

I don't know - I'm firmly on the fence on this one. One minute the idea completely repulses me, the next I think it would be a great way to shake things up a bit. 

What do you think?




You can follow us on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog and Facebook: CoronationStreetBlog

Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

11 comments:

njblas said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Anonymous said...

What njblas said.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to Deirdre working in the shop again with Dev and Sophie.

Anonymous said...

Stella...wouldn't that just be a perfect shot in the gut to the evil Karl?

Anonymous said...

Ugh!

Carry On Blogging! said...


Deirdre and St Ella?!

Humpty Dumpty said...

To allow for some semblance of grief in soapland, I'd hope Dev would wait at least three months before embarking on his next affair. What about Deirdre and the good doctor? He might be drawn to her after they're both involved in a medical drama. Having said that, why does Deirdre need an affair to have an interesting life?

David Parsnips said...

People are being ridiculous, Dierde is now an old woman, why would a young handsome doctor be interested in someone that could be his mother or even Dev for that matter, it was stretching it the first time. The second time is too horrific to contemplate.

Janice. said...

Dev and Mandy. This is Corrie and there are no happy unions on this street. The 'how-could-you with your-best friend's girl' twist is a soap favorite.

Carry On Blogging! said...


I'm now regretting this blog post - I'm going to struggle to keep my dinner down this evening at this rate!

Anonymous said...

NO MORE AFFAIRS FOR DEIRDRE !! surely the writers can come up with another kind of story, if not maybe its time to bid her farewell? although could be a good more moving her back into the corner shop ! but no affairs with Dev , the doctor or anyone else, its getting ridiculous !

Dubcek said...

Dev and Mandy could work as she still can't come to terms with Jenna being a lesbian and then comes to work at the corner shop since the Rovers is out of commission gets involved with Dev and the twins dumps Lloyd and they all drive off into the sunset in the obligatory black cab never to be seen or heard of again.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!