Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 1 April 2013

Accentuating the Corrie positive


I have taken a few days away from the blog to reflect on my feelings towards Coronation Street. There have been one or two comments recently suggesting I can be overly negative in my blogs however I have always adored Corrie and I always will. I admit I can be grumpy on occasion but that's just because I care passionately about my favourite television programme. I hope this does come through in my writing.

I am constantly in awe of the Corrie team. It amazes me that the writers, cast and crew manage to produce two and a half hours of television every week of the year. Ok, sometimes I have moaned that Coronation Street is on too often and that less can be more, but I still think those involved deserve a huge pat on the back for keeping the Corrie treadmill on track.  For all the stories and characters that make me mad or make me moan, the Coronation Street of 2013 still provides enough crisp one liners, enough sharp performances and enough little gems to keep us all glued three nights a week.

I know I moan about a lack of continuity sometimes. I was crying out at my telly during Gail's recent spat with Kylie for instance. I would have applauded if Audrey had reminded her darling daughter of her affair with Ian Latimer and the subsequent who's the daddy story. I also wrote at length to express my dismay during the awful mishmash that was Betty's farewell. However it really is all swings and roundabouts. Every so often there is a little gem that surprises us all. I loved Roy's recent mention of Alec Gilroy for example. And every time  I glimpse Alfeh's portrait in Audrey's house it makes me smile.

As for Corrie's current cast of characters, well I've written before arguing that there are too many actors on the cobbles these days. Regular blog readers will also know there are several characters I would gladly see the back of. I will name no names but there are no prizes if you guess correctly. However I think it will be a long time before I find nobody worth watching in Weatherfield. 

Yes, I can be negative but deep down I care very much about Coronation Street and I love writing about it, both to celebrate its triumphs and give it a good kick up the posterior when I think it's deserved!

I'm now going to throw this blog open to you. If you had to choose one positive from Coronation Street recently, what would it be? It can be anything from a storyline or performance to a character or even a particular one liner. 


You can follow us on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog and Facebook: CoronationStreetBlog

Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

16 comments:

Llifon said...

Natalie Gumede's performace.

And Beth's wonderful one liner to Dev when he saw the Rovers fire:

Dev: "What's going on?"
Beth: "Well, it's not a figging flood is it?"

Glenda Young said...

Welcome back Graeme, you have been MISSED.

Carry On Blogging! said...


I just can't stay away from the lure of the blog!

Anonymous said...

My favorite recent line is when the drunk Sunita tells Stella that she is "like Norris with bad roots".
My favorite thing in a broader sense is the recent general absence of Traceyluv. We must be thankful for small mercies such as this.
Bev

Joseph said...

Sylvia. No matter what the character is doing, she makes me laugh until I cry. Which has been a must after the heavy drama of the past fortnight

Chatty Kathy said...

My favorite moment recently was when Steve was pretending to be Mandy when he and Lloyd were role-playing how Lloyd would break the loss of the "toytoys" to Mandy. I thought Steve was hysterical as he batted his lashes and referred to himself as "Lloyd's handsome friend". More Steve, please. Love him.

Tvor said...

I love all the one lines, i love the little scenes that don't add to any plot or storyline, they just are.

Welcome back! It's ok to be negative! I do it all the time!

Janice. said...

I get it, its April 01.

vicky said...

I like the stupid storylines. You know the ones. Things revolving around lollipop men and tortoises. I know I shouldn't, but I love them.

The one liners are always excellent.

In fact, I think it's really just been one or two really bad stories ruining things lately, but because they're such big, drawn-out stories, they cast an unfortunate shadow over everything else.

Anonymous said...

Graeme....I always find your writing interesting. We all haves gripes about things we don't like, but unlike a couple of regular commenters (sp) you temper the negatives with positives which is spot on as far as I'm concerned, so keep on as you have been.

There's been quite a few moments I've enjoyed recently, one of them being Rita & co and all the one liners while watching the strip show.....priceless!

As others have said, the one liners are my favourite bits.

Kiwi Kim

Chatty Kathy said...

Bev, I agree. I don't think I could handle Boria AND Tracy at once. So thank you Corrie PTB for sparing us Tracy lately. :)

Carry On Blogging! said...


Thank you very much Kim - that's very kind :)

Anonymous said...

I'm very interested in what the new producer is going to bring to the show; I think this is a positive opportunity for sure.

Anonymous said...

Ignore those who criticise you. If this blog just consisted of people writing wasn't Corrie brilliant this week, no-one would be interested.

ChiaGwen said...

I have to say the one positive for me is Sylvia - she's a much kinder Blanche but still has the bite.

Beth said...

I've quite liked the interaction between Sylvia and Dennis. His 'naughty boy' expression and his encouragement in a way. And I love Sylvia with Lolipop Stan. " I bet you have a hoody under that coat" made me laugh out loud :)

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!