Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 23 August 2010

Was Hendrix influenced by Corrie theme tune?

I've often wondered and have never been able to make the connection before - but Third Stone From The Sun by guitar legend Jimi Hendrix (about 45 seconds in) has a repeated refrain that sounds remarkably like Eric Spear's iconic theme tune

A piece in the Daily Telegraph says: "Having been shunted endlessly between foster parents and family members after the death of his alcoholic mother, Hendrix loved simple, childlike domestic pleasures: such as playing with a Scalextric racing car set and watching Coronation Street."

In addition, there's an interview on the BBC website with Kathy Etchingham, Hendrix's 'Foxy Lady'.  The article says that the couple "liked to relax by watching Coronation Street".

So it seems like he was a fan and as far as I'm concerned that's proof enough for me that the track was influenced by the theme tune to our favourite drama.

Finally did you know that the theme tune is also known as 'Capri', because that's where it was composed?

2 comments:

Sea Penguin said...

Fab! I burst out laughing when I read this - but having sniffed some patchouli oil, taken my afghan coat out for its daily walk and re-listened to "Third Stone" I have to agree with you. Makes total sense that the Corrie tune etched itself onto the Hendrix brain at an impressionable age and re-appeared as part of his "oeuvre". Yep - good enough for me too.

Thinktank said...

Yip. The first thing I thought of when I heard that song was the Coronation Street tune through a psychedelic filter!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!